Photo by Alyson Hurt
It’s been several months since I wrote about menu planning; mostly, because I haven’t menu planned in awhile. With all our traveling in the States, it’s only been this past week that we’ve had some semblance of a normal life since mid-October.
But we’re all itching for some well-planned meals around here, so with the start of a new month and the start of a new season, I thought it a great time to plan for the entire month.
Our current book club selection, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle has me jazzed about eating locally and seasonally, and there have been some great recipe site suggestions on the forums. And I love food blogs, so I thought I’d pay some of my favorites homage and try out some of their recipes.
With this in mind, I’ve tried to make our month’s menu as seasonal as possible, with every intention to get most of the ingredients from our twice-weekly neighborhood farmer’s market.
I can’t vouch for the seasonality of every recipe here, especially since every locale is different. But for the most part, these recipes work well for us in the spring, and if they do for you, then please use and enjoy.
Here are some other articles I’ve written about menu planning:
You might also remember that I like to have a theme for each day of the week, which helps me narrow down recipe decisions. For the spring, our weekly rotation looks somewhat like this:
M0ndays - pasta
Tuesdays - soup, salad, and/or sandwiches
Wednesdays - stir fry
Thursdays - crock pot
Fridays - pizza
Saturdays - something new
Sundays - something easy
So here it is – our family’s menu.
April Menu Plan
Photo from Smitten Kitchen
Photo from Under the High Chair
- Monday, April 6 – warm bow tie pasta and salad
- Tuesday, April 7 – bread soup and salad
- Wednesday, April 8 – pacific rim stir fry over white rice
- Thursday, April 9 – chicken and sausage gumbo
- Friday, April 10 – pizza, salad, and dessert
- Saturday, April 11 – lemon, chicken, and leek pot pies
- Sunday, April 12 – Easter Sunday – italian chicken salad over greens; lemon-drenched lemon cake
Photo from Cooking Light
- Monday, April 13 – chicken spaghetti casserole; sauteed broccoli in olive oil
- Tuesday, April 14 – grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato-basil soup
- Wednesday, April 15 – honey-glazed chicken stir fry over white rice
- Thursday, April 16 – french market soup, salad, and no-knead wheat bread
- Friday, April 17 – pizza, salad, and dessert
- Saturday, April 18 – beef stroganoff and sauteed asparagus in olive oil
- Sunday, April 19 – grilled vegetable salad and no-knead wheat bread
Photo from Joy the Baker
- Monday, April 20 – broccoli chicken bake and salad
- Tuesday, April 21 – spinach salad with caesar dressing, chicken, and garlic croutons
- Wednesday, April 22 – pacific rim stir fry over white rice
- Thursday, April 23 – red beans and rice
- Friday, April 24 – pizza, salad, and dessert
- Saturday, April 25 – spring panzanella
- Sunday, April 26 – grilled burgers, oven-baked fries, salad, and dessert
Photo from Tomato Casual
What are you eating this week?