Juul e-cigarette. “It was a really intense, good feeling,” he tells PEOPLE. “I could feel my whole body throbbing and tingling.” Three months later, the 19-year-old college cheerleader was fighting a desperate battle to stay alive.” data-reactid=”16″ type=”text”>Walker McKnight remembers that first time he took a success off of a Juul e-cigarette. “It became once a indubitably intense, correct feeling,” he tells PEOPLE. “I could perchance indubitably feel my entire physique throbbing and tingling.” Three months later, the 19-year-frail college cheerleader became once struggling with a decided fight to discontinuance alive.
For over five months he drifted out and in of consciousness, connected to a respirator in an Orlando, Fla., hospital. Scientific doctors fought to withhold his inflamed lungs from collapsing and his organs from shutting down. “I begged my of us to let me die,” says Walker. “I wouldn’t wish this on any individual.”
vaping-related cases in recent months. “Walker was literally dying in front of our eyes.”” data-reactid=”18″ type=”text”>“His case is the worst I’ve seen so far,” recalls serious care specialist Dr. Charles Hunley with Orlando’s Regional Scientific Heart, which has handled six vaping-connected cases in most up-to-date months. “Walker became once literally demise in front of our eyes.”
an “alarming epidemic” that has left 2,290 people with lung injuries and has been linked to 47 deaths, according to the agency’s figures. “No youth, young person or pregnant women should be using any e-cigarette or vaping product,” Dr. Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the CDC tells PEOPLE. “Lung injury associated with e-cigarette or vaping product use is serious and potentially fatal.”” data-reactid=”19″ type=”text”>Described by CDC officials as an “alarming epidemic” that has left 2,290 folks with lung accidents and has been linked to 47 deaths, according to the company’s figures. “No childhood, younger particular person or pregnant girls ought to be the exhaust of any e-cigarette or vaping product,” Dr. Anne Schuchat, essential deputy director of the CDC tells PEOPLE. “Lung smash connected with e-cigarette or vaping product exhaust is excessive and doubtlessly deadly.”
dangers of vaping last December when he purchased his first Juul device, along with a package of tiny mango-flavored pods that contained a pack of cigarette’s worth of liquid nicotine, at a gas station near his parent’s home in Orlando.” data-reactid=”20″ type=”text”>Walker admits that he became once oblivious to the aptitude risks of vaping remaining December when he bought his first Juul tool, in conjunction with a kit of minute mango-flavored pods that contained a pack of cigarette’s worth of liquid nicotine, at a gasoline quandary as regards to his parent’s home in Orlando.
“After about every week and a half of I carried out getting buzzed from it,” he recalls, “but I’d receive fearful and twitchy if I didn’t receive it.” For the next three months, Walker tried convincing himself that “if I must give it up, I’ll correct give it up. However by then I became once hooked on it correct savor everybody else.”
By early March, Walker couldn’t preserve any meals down and had fevers and chills. Scientific doctors on the emergency room as regards to the Florida Atlantic University campus urged him he had the flu and prescribed antibiotics and steroids. Four days later, his condition worsened.
“My chest effort so unhealthy I couldn’t even search for straight,” says Walker, who managed to pressure himself 200 miles encourage to his of us’ home in Orlando. “I’d by no system seen any individual so in uncomfortable health in all my existence,” says his father Dave, who rushed his son to a detailed-by pressing care hospital. Scientific doctors insisted that he wished to transfer to a hospital emergency room where x-rays like a flash published that he had what regarded as if it could perchance perchance be pneumonia in his left lung—and he became once straight away admitted to ICU. “No person requested me if I vaped,” recalls Walker. “They correct requested me if I smoked and I urged them I didn’t.”
RELATED VIDEO: How Vaping Sent This Child to Rehab
Internal days, he became once connected to a respirator, then airlifted to every other hospital, save in a medically-precipitated coma and connected to ECMO machine that pumped and oxygenated his blood outside of his physique, allowing his lungs and heart to leisure. “We misplaced him five instances,” recalls his mother, Sweet, who works as a indispensable care nurse. Scientific doctors in the end obvious that his infection became once ended in by adenovirus—gradually tag in college dorms that in most cases most attention-grabbing leads to a gradual illness—but they receive been stumped over how this could well happen to an otherwise healthy college athlete.
The acknowledge came into focal point after Walker’s of us went to well-organized out his dorm room and receive been shy by what they found. “I spread out his desk drawer and it became once filled with Juul pods,” recalls Dave. When Sweet relayed the records about her son’s vaping habits to his physicians, it solved the thriller of why Walker’s lungs had turn into so frail that a reasonably benign virus could perchance nearly extinguish him.
When Walker left the hospital in July, he had misplaced 80 lbs., and his left lung and each and every his kidneys receive been destroyed. He carries an oxygen tank with him wherever he goes, and ought to have to suffer grueling lung and kidney transplants to continue to exist. Now at 20 years frail, Walker’s existence revolves around dialysis sessions, physical therapy, medical doctors’ appointments and twice-a-day naps. “Right here is savor one thing I frail to assume most attention-grabbing came about in the motion photos,” he says.
For additional of Walker McKnight’s story, gain up a replica of PEOPLE, on newsstands Wednesday.